Miriam, just wanted to say that I love the wintry photos. So beautiful.
I'm excitedly anticipating a bit of snow here tomorrow, to be melted, no doubt, by the following day. But I'll enjoy the white stuff tomorrow -- I'll make a fire, continue reading Little Women (a semi-annual event I do this time of year), and enjoy having survived a very long week.
Anyway, thanks for making the blog so pretty.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Keep those snowy pictures coming
Posted by
Heidi S.
at
10:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Thanks Heidi!
I will definitely keep the pictures coming. There is not much else to photograph aside from snowy stuff, from now to April or so :)
Enjoy your snow in Seattle if it falls :) And your fire and your book :)
Hey there Heidi!
So when did you first read Little Women?
I think the books I have now from when I was younger are: Charlotte's Web and The Fountainhead.
I remember my sister reading it to me when I was pretty young, and just crying and crying over Beth. I'm coming up to that part now, and am sort of putting it off. I think tears are in my near future. (That's okay. I kinda like 'em.)
I have a bunch of my childhood books with me now -- the copy of The Velveteen Rabbit that my mother gave me at Easter when I was 8. And the whole set of books about the Melendy Family by Elizabeth Enright.
Hey, have you read The Thirteenth Tale? I read it last winter by the fire. SUCH a great read -- kind of a gothic mystery, but written by a contemporary author.
The Fountainhead?? A kid's book??? That's funny. Wasn't Ayn Rand some kind of ultra-conservative? (There's a really funny Simpsons episode where Maggie attends the Ayn Rand School for Tots.)What were you doing reading her?
And I TOTALLY enjoyed the snow, although I didn't stay home on Saturday. I took the bus into Seattle and participated in a fundraiser for Hugo House -- the writing center on Capitol Hill. They had writing classes all day long and it was a total blast. Plus, the bonus of a beautiful snowy day, and the adventure of getting home on the bus.
A psychic on Orcas Island named Owl told me this summer that I might want to start taking public transportation more often. Pretty funny. So, I'm trying to do so. And I love the adventure of it, especially on a day like Saturday, where everyone is animated and sharing stories about their snow adventures.
okay. that's enough tangents and non-sequitors for now. :)
I have not read The Thirteenth Tale...
And I guess I read The Fountainhead in high school/college, which is not really when I was a kid. Well, maybe kinda.
I loved "The Thirteenth Tale"! Great book, it really sucked me in. One of those you just can't put down.
If you like that sort of mystery novel, "The Shadow of the Wind" (or something similar, I'm not sure what the English translation is,really) is another one of those fascinating ones. The author is Carlos Ruiz Zafón. It's been translated to many languages, I believe, English being one of them :)
I remember always crying in that part of Little Woman, too. Every year the Spanish TV would play Little Woman at Christmas time. So, I don't think I've ever read the book, but have seen the movie about 20 times at least :)
Heidi, I'd love to read some of your writings... if you'd ever want to share
I will add the Shadow of the Wind to my list...good title! I LOVE knowing that someone else got so sucked in to The Thirteenth Tale. I spent several cozy nights by the fire last January reading it. I actually read it all over again almost as soon as I finished reading it the first time, because I was so intrigued by the mystery.
I finished Little Women on Sunday, (also with a fire going), and a big dictionary by my side (it's soooo nice to have time and to feel relaxed enough in my mind just to be able to take time to look up words! what a forgotten delight that is). I was so amazed at what a good writer Alcott is, and how wise, really.
Miriam, thanks for your invitation to share my writing. I'll keep it mind! Today I met with a writer-in-residence at Hugo House on Capitol Hill to talk about writing. One of the things I told her is that I'm trying to make my writing a less secretive thing in my life, to sort of come out of the closet more with my writing, be a little more courageous, take risks sharing it with people. And, it's still scary for me...but maybe...in time...I'll send you something. Just wanted to acknowledge your kind comment. :)
Post a Comment