
My solitary trip yesterday to the Post Office ended up being a lovely experience, despite the chill factor that turned those -4F to a crazy -50 something degrees. The sun, the blue sky, and the amazing amount of light thanks to the reflection of the snow made my day. I love this winter combination of sun and snow. It sure beats the hell out of the gloomy skies and rain tht I'm accostumed to.
I took my camera with me and I found out that the river had completely stopped. Ice was jammed up all over the surface and there were open waters here and there. Quiet waters, trapped among the ice, calmly surrendering to the inevitable transformation that lies ahead.
Ice is absolutely fascinating. It takes the most amazing shapes. The small and apparently unimportant things sometimes hide a beauty that is only revealed to those who take the time to stop and look. 

Sunday, November 18, 2007
Ice and frozen rivers
Posted by
Meiga en Alaska
at
9:14 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
wow miriam impressively beautiful
My god Miriam, you can't imagine how these photos and your description called to me....it has been years since I was in Alaska - keep that couch available....the stillness called to my heart - the simplicity of the cabin....you are in my idea of paradise. What a memory you and David and Naim are creating - memories that will inhabit your soul long after the cities and other lives have come back to you. I still remember sitting with a dear dear friend on the edge of a glacier just outside Valdez - it was August, the sun bright off the white frozen tongue of ice - as we sat and played with her infant daughter and dreamed about our lives. And the flight out to Anchorage over endless mountains and valleys....What a vast and glorious sight. I don't think I have ever felt more inconsequential - and deservedly so. One of my most treasured memories is walking through the streets of Fairbanks at Thanksgiving surrounded by prisms - the moisture in the air suspended as fragile ice crystals reflecting light. No matter what direction I turned the prism colors danced about - a wonderful and surreal landscape. Thank you for taking me back to those lovely memories once again - they are alive and well! Love to you Miriam - Liz
I've been seeing those prisms lately... they are something else! I have to try and capture them the next time I see them.
It does feel like somewhat of a vacation here...a perfect place to reinvent oneself as much as needed... to raise a child in touch with nature and away from stressful jobs and crazy schedules... A true gift. And also very challenging. The best place to get back into photography too :)
Glad that you're around... and yes, my couch is available for you anytime. It's a nice queen size bed-sofa and it's next to the fireplace. The best place in the house :)
It's quiet and white around here. Especially today. It's snowed over a foot in a few hours already. I can't wait for the sun to come back! And see those prisms :)
Love to you my friend
Such breathtaking photos Miriam!
I love the idea of your fiery-ness and warmth in that frozen landscape.
Post a Comment