Hello, fine women.
So, the post title -- I recently came across an old journal entry in which I'd quoted a LIOSian therapist who told me that being a therapist is like getting married: marriage prepares you for marriage and sitting in the (therapist's) chair prepares you for sitting in the chair.
Approaching 2-1/2 years of remission (April 5), with some sense of interior and exterior stability, I am, once again, feeling some excitement and curiosity about committing to this work. Something is inching me closer, beckoning me to take baby steps. I found an office, am working on a business plan, and am brainstorming about language for a possible web site. For the past few months I've been leading some lovely writing groups, which has been a great way to get my feet wet again, helping people access and play with their creativity in gentle, structured ways.
So...I'd love to hear from any of you about what it's like to see clients -- anything you want to tell me about getting your practice going, anything you'd do differently, what you love, what challenges you, how you have been able to discern and articulate your particular offering. How has sitting in the chair prepared you for sitting in the chair? Oh, and this applies to you CCO folks, too!
Stories, please! I love stories!
I'd be happy to read your stories on this blog or in e-mail (heidi_stahl@hotmail.com), or if you're closer than the snowy wilds of Alaska or the sultry wilds of Hawaii, we could chat over some kind of sustenance. Or you can call me if you want to tell me your story but writing feels like a drag, call me: 425-882-0569.
Thanks in advance for your tales of work and exploration.
With love,
Heidi
Friday, March 7, 2008
Does the chair really make you ready?
Posted by
H.R. Hopper
at
10:17 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Heidi,
So so glad to hear of your continued health!! Such a blessing. I wish you well on your journey to start your practice. I've stayed with my F&C gig and so have not developed much of a private practice myself. Did have a great experience doing Phototherapy. Lynne F. let me use her place on 65th. Sweet little spot she's put together. Loved the engergy there. I have no words of wisdom, but do wish you so much success... more than that I wish you fullfillment. Love Z
Post a Comment