Monday, December 3, 2007

Trip to Anchorage



I caught some beautiful sunrises in Anchorage this week. Since the sun rises to late, it's not a hard thing to do. In fact it seems like either it's a sunset or a sunrise whatever is going on in the sky at any given moment throughout the day.

We went shopping and oh, how I'm starting to dread shopping. I've never been much of a shopper, really, but living in the bush makes shopping such an ordeal that you can't but hate it with passion after a few experiences. "Guerrilla shopping" they call it, apparently. And it's really what it is.

It has it's positive side also, of course. I get to see people walking around, eat in a restaurant, get a Chai anywhere, drive a car... basically, do things that I don't get to do on a regular basis anymore. Things that I used to take for granted, and that nowadays seems like luxuries. It's funny to look at life from such different perspectives at once.

3 comments:

psss said...

that shot makes me so nostalgic. i remember in my high school english class, my teacher would stop class and we would watch the sunrise....at 10:40am. i am sure you know, but mt. susitna or "sleeping lady" in the picture has a beautiful folk tale that surrounds it and there is a kids book out with really neat illustrations. i think naim would love it!

Meiga en Alaska said...

Staci:
I didn't know the name of the mountain. There are so many of them surrounding Anchorage. I love it that its name is Sleeping Lady. It brings back old memories from my childhood in Spain... also related to mountains :)
I'd love for you to tell me the folk tale about it :)

H.R. Hopper said...

What makes shopping so awful up there? I can see, like you said, appreciating the novelty of things like getting a Chai. But is it because you have to stock up on a million things at once?