I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Andy Goldsworthy. I hadn't until just this morning. He is a "British sculptor, photographer and environmentalist living in Scotland who produces site-specific sculpture and land art situated in natural and urban settings. His art involves the use of natural and found objects to create both temporary and permanent sculptures which draw out the character of their environment." (per Wikipedia)
I had seen his work, or not exactly his work, but the creations that my brother-in-law had done in the past, inspired by his work. Beautiful art. The video above is a 5 minute demonstration of some of the things he has done.
Most of anything, what calls me at this time, is the impermanence of some of his pieces, which disappear as soon as the tide engulfs them or the wind blows them away. This has a lot to do with the book on Buddhism that I am reading right now. I am trying to understand some of it's basic concepts, since I realize I know nothing about real Buddhism other than rumors, new age factoids, and other random stuff. And for some reason, it's calling me right now.
I realize that there is so much personal work and change that I need to do. And a lot (if not all) involves getting a grip on my thoughts and my attitudes toward things that happen to me and around me. How I react to things when I don't get what I want, or how I deal with life when things are not the way I think they really "should" be... is something I'm not particularly proud of, most of the time.
Just sharing my ramblings :)
Sunday, December 9, 2007
Collaboration With Nature
Posted by
Meiga en Alaska
at
4:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Yes, I've seen Andy Goldworthy's work. I love it. And your comments about impermanence -- both in his work and in your own thoughts -- resonates with me. Impermanence has been on my mind a lot lately. Don't know whether it's the time of year (darkness, endings, a time when the cyclical nature of things is really apparent to me), or the cancer thing (26 months of remission as of last Wednesday...yay!), but the concept of impermanence keeps showing up in my thoughts.
Sometimes, the idea of impermanence is a really good tonic for me, releasing me from taking myself or my life too seriously. I just started another gig at Microsoft and the acclimation process is exhausting. I can get into tight places mentally where I really hate it there. And in those moments it seems like that is all there is to it -- I hate it and that's that. Then, twenty minutes later, I'll figure out some itchy technical problem, or have a really nice conversation with someone in the kitchen, or simply appreciate the fact that paying my mortgage won't be such a scary prospect next month. And there it is -- the impermanence of my thoughts and moods and impressions looms up before me, making me laugh at myself.
Last Saturday while I was enjoying the snow from the cozy warmth of a Metro bus, I wondered if part of the reason I love snow so much is because it embodies the ephemeral, impermanent nature of our life. It is so sweet because it is so fleeting. (Of course, I realize that I have a Seattle-ite's, not an Alaskan's, perspective on snow! The scale of impermanence for snow in Alaska is just a tad bit slower!)
I have nothing conclusive to say about impermanence at this point, but I suppose that is entirely appropriate! And I love this topic. I look forward to what others have to say about it!
Heidi: Congratulations on your 26 months of remission! :)
I so agree with you about how impermanence help with not taking oneself or ones life so seriously. I am always amazed at the fleeting nature of thoughts,feelings, moods... Even when a persistent thought gives way to a very intense feeling (I am thinking about anger right now) that seems that can last forever. When I am very very angry, I feel like there is no way I will ever be less angry,and my thoughts seem to be "totally right" so I will never think differently. And then I stop paying attention to my thoughts (vacuuming is becoming a great resource for this, somehow, maybe the humming noise, or the sucking away of the "bad stuff" that's around the floor) and suddenly poof, no more anger, it just melts away, it disappears and the thoughts that accompanied it seem pretty silly.
I love your statement: "I have nothing conclusive to say about impermanence." :) So true!!! I don't either.
I had not known of Goldworthy's work, and feel blessed to be introduced to it. Thank you.
What most resonates with me - at least in this initial, impermanant, early morning moment - is the idea of 'blooming where you're planted,' seeing the beauty and creative possibilties right where I am and in everything, simply slowing down enough to really see and feel everything that surrounds me... where I am in all meanings... geographically in the world (Seattle, Alaska, Spokane), physically (YEAH 26 months! Heidi that is just grand), emotionally (the angry vaccuuming), mentally (tight MS places), spritually (searching)... this somehow ties into the idea of impermanence too, as a comforting thought ... being in the moment ... and this so ties in with the Levy's thought for today, which I will share. Some of you may get their daily message, so my apologies if it's a repeat -
You Reading This, Be Ready
Starting here, what do you want to remember
How sunlight creeps along a shining floor?
What scent of old wood hovers, what softened
sound from outside fills the air?
Will you ever bring a better gift for the world
than the breathing respect that you carry
wherever you go right now? Are you waiting
for time to show you some better thoughts?
When you turn around, starting here, lift this
new glimpse that you found; carry into evening
all that you want from this day. This interval you spent
reading or hearing this, keep it for life -
What can anyone give you greater than now,
starting here, right in this room, when you turn around?
--William Stafford
I love Goldworthy's work as well and thanks for your perspective Miriam. It makes me see his work in a different light, with more appreciation, and in turn makes me appreciate some of the impermanence that I continue to struggle with....mostly, that when I have something beautiful right in front of me and I don't notice it until its gone.
I love reading everyone's comments and hearing your thoughts. It is nice to be connected when I feel so physically far away.
Congratulations Heidi on 26 cancer free months!
staci
thanks, guys for your cheery and cheering words of congratulations!
And Marie, oh my god, that poem just brought tears to my eyes...something quite sweet and welcome in the middle of my day at Microsoft. I love that William Stafford. What a mensch.
Post a Comment