Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Southwest

Since I first came to this country, there has been one trip I always knew I wanted to take before I left. Finally, 13 years later, I did it! We went on a road trip from Seattle to Las Vegas. No, the point of the trip wasn't Vegas at all. I'm not into gambling, though I'd love to see many of the shows that play there regularly. Vegas was just where we hopped on a plane to fly back home.

The real trip was through the National Parks in Utah and Northern Arizona: Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and Grand Canyon. We also added Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon to the mix.



The trip was indescribable. It started off with my two boys dropping me off for a 3-day solitary retreat in Breitenbush, one of my favorite places in the world, and definitely the best Hot Spring Resort ever. Imagine, 3 days of silence and nothing to do except read and rest, while they camped 10 miles down the road. That was the best birthday gift I've ever received!


Then we got on the road and started our camping adventure. Two amazing weeks in which I saw some of the most amazing sunrises in my life, hiked through some of the most incredible landscapes I have ever seen, and felt more at peace than I have felt in a long long time. It was the best trip of my life!


If any of you would like to see more pictures, just go check out my National Parks Flickr page. I hope you enjoy it.

6 comments:

lynne said...

Sounds like an amazing trip Miriam! Your photos are breathtaking as usual.
So has winter arrived yet?!

Meiga en Alaska said...

Thanks Lynne!

Oh, winter is definitely here. Subzero temperatures would be good proof of it :)

I miss fall in Seattle, there is no real fall here.

Zozo said...

Amazing photos - again!! You are really walking this world with beauty in your heart and in your vision. Lots of love to you! Zo

Melissa said...

These photos are amazing! Stay warm my friend. Love to you.

Heidi S. said...

Yes, beautiful photos. Zion is a holy place, one of my favorites. I understand why you wanted to go to that part of the world for so long. It's magical. Take care, Alaska girl.

Marie said...

Miriam - very happy almost 1/2 birthday sweetie... I obviously haven't checked in for awhile - the photos are incredible, thanks for sharing.. and that mysterious canyon country is a trip I too want to experience. I'm so sick of snow - it's supposed to be 2 degrees tomorrow night (March 10) - and I don't live in Alaksa! I'll think good spring thoughts for you.

Love

Marie